2012年5月12日星期六

Uncommon Threads

Artwork by Jacob Magraw

For our latest women’s issue, the artist Jacob Magraw — typically one who paints and draws— took to needle and thread, fashioning a wildly colorful, Gertrude Jekyll-style garden in the shape of our trademark “T.” Magraw, 29 and a native of Seattle, splits his time between the tiny island of Waldron, in Washington state, and Sacramento, Calif. Both spots, he says, are beginning to show welcome, West-coast indications of spring. We think he’s captured the season beautifully with this piece of intricate handiwork.

What was your inspiration for this T?

I’d been playing around with embroidery, mostly inspired by the work my wife was doing. I thought it could be a nice solution for typography projects.

How long did it take you to create the T?

Three weeks, working mostly at night.

What drew you to embroidery?

My aunt Linnea does beautiful quilt squares, as does my wife Rachell. The layers of intention that can gather in such a slow process appeal to me. I’ve only done a few pieces, but it’s fun and it’s what I’m working with right now.

What makes embroidery different from other art forms?

The practicality of stitching and sewing. We interact with stitching all the time in the most mundane but essential and intimate ways. Embroidery is just stitching.

What was the biggest challenge you faced in this project?

I thought it would be legibility, but it was actually loosening up and trying not to get too tight. Knowing when to stop is always a problem.

How many shades of thread did you use?

I didn’t use as many shades as I wanted, maybe seven or eight in all. You can buy so much thread for so little money! It’s doesn’t take as much thread as it looks.

What is your favorite springtime flower?

I’ve always been partial to Columbines.

Do you have a green thumb?

Kind of…I’ve spent a lot of time farming with my aunt and uncle, so I know how to not kill spinach plants and pick beans. But I’ve had mixed results on my own.

Beyond the garden, what is your favorite sign of spring?

Whatever Alex Song [the soccer player for Arsenal Football Club] has done to his hair.

What do you love about your work?

Everything. It’s what I’ve wanted to do since I was 9 years old.

What is unusual about this T?

If you rip it out from the magazine and send it to me, I’ll send you something in return. [Address: Jacob Magraw, N.R. Farm, Waldron, WA 98297]

Fill in the blank: T stands for _________.

Trill.

没有评论:

发表评论