2012年6月25日星期一

Once Upon a Track (Runner) - Chapter 2

Once Upon a Track (Runner) - Chapter 2

Recap

I just barely got there when I puked my guts out. I just barely felt someone holding my hair back. When I was done, I sat back and started breathing again. The sight of blood in my vomit made me woozy and I started to faint, but I could vaguely remember arms holding me up. They weren't girl's arms, either.

**************************************************

Chapter 2

I woke to a bright light shining in my eyes. A worried-looking doctor soon was visible Coach Bags, hovering over my face. I blinked and started to look around the hospital bed I was now in. I could see a nervous Sarah, my dad in his wheelchair, and the new guy sitting in the cheap plastic chair that hospitals have everywhere. Then I felt the pain starting to grow in my stomach. I groaned and everyone looked up at me to see if I were conscious. Sarah stopped chewing her hair and quickly got up to see if I were ok.

"Isi, are you ok? How are you feeling? You had us worried sick! And," then she whispered, "you even got Jake here sitting all day just to see you!! Now isn't that sweet!" Aw, I thought, this guy I don't even know is worried about me! How cute. And kind of weird.

"Hey doc, what happened?"

"You're fine now, you just had a stomach ulcer that was bleeding. The surgery we gave you got rid of it." I looked down at my stomach and saw some black stitches.

"And so, you need to stay for the rest of the day just to make sure you are ok. You've only been here for about a day and we want to make sure you are ok to go home. Well, I will get a nurse to check up on you later. And, about a week you can come back to get your stitches cut off." Then the doctor picked up his clipboard and walked out, closing the door almost silently. My dad smiled and looked at me.

"You're gonna be fine!" Jake cleared his throat. We all looked at him.

He said, "Sir, may I have a word with your daughter?" My dad nodded.

"Alone?"

"Uh... Oh... Yes... Sarah?" Sarah nodded, stood up, and wheeled him out of the room. Just before she left, she winked at me.

"Hi, I'm Jake."

"Yeah, I've noticed." I replied. "So why do you care about what I do?"

"Well," he started,"I saw you needed help, so I gave it."

"Huh, well ok, as you can see I am fine, so you can go now."

"Ok, if you feel that way, I will leave if you want. See ya at school!"

"Yep. Bye." I mumbled, and he walked out of the room. My dad and Sarah came in right after.

"What did you do? Why did you make him leave? He was actually cute! And I think he liked you!!" Exclaimed an excited Sarah. I shook my head.

"Nah, he said he was only helping me cuz I was 'a person in need'."

"Ok, whatever you say, Isi!" Replied Sarah.

************************************************************************

*Later in the day after Isi went home.*

"Hey dad, do I have to go back to school tomorrow?" I asked after dinner.

"Yes, no daughter of mine is going to skip school. No matter how hurt she is."

"Ugh, dad! Fine. But I still get to go to track practice, right? I don't have to run, I can just sit and watch."

"Sure, I write a note to give to your coach." He quickly scribbled on a piece of paper and handed it to me.

"Ok, goodnight, dad!" I put my plate in the sink and walked up my stairs, careful not to walk in to the electric chair that carries my dad up the stairs. I walked inside my bedroom and flopped onto my bed, then cringed at the pain, realizing too late that I had stitches in my stomach. I rolled over onto my back and stared at my ceiling. The room was warm and my window was open too, I could hear the crickets making that annoying, yet soothing sound all night. I closed my eyes and drifted off into sleep.

I woke that morning to the loud beeping of my alarm clock. I whacked it tlil it shut up, then I rolled over and groaned. I sighed, then heaved myself out of my bed. I took a shower, then got dressed in some dark blue skinny jeans and a white flowy t-shirt that said "Gotta love me" in red on it. I put a little makeup on then ran downstairs. My dad was already up and sitting at the table in his wheelchair, reading the paper.

"Hey, honey, how did you sleep? Didn't break your stitches?"

"Nope, sorry, dad! Gotta go, Sarah's giving me a ride." I drank the rest of my milk, grabbed my backpack, and pulled on my shoes. I could hear a honk outside, telling me that Sarah was here.

"Bye, Dad! Love you!"

"Love you too!" Then I ran outside and jumped into her green Ford Fiesta.

"Hey girl! How you doing? Do your stitches hurt? Are you ok? Did Jake call to see if you are doing ok? Aw you two would be so adorable!" That was the classical Sarah I knew, always trying to play matchmaker.

I rolled my eyes and said, "Did you know Ashley wanted to go out with him? She probably will, if she has her way Coach Bags, and we all know she always does. I still don't see why guys like her, she's such a jerk. So do you know who her current boyfriend is?"

"Haha, no, sorry I don't, but I know her last one was Eric."

"Eric? Eric Watson? Oooo, he creeps me out. He's like, a giant. He's all hairy and scary and blahhh. How could she like him?"

"She probably likes him only because he's the star quarterback for the football team. You know, status?"

"Yeah. I know what you mean. Hey! Eyes on the road! How you got your driver's license I will never know." She looked over at me and stuck her tongue out, then looked back at the road. We got to school and headed towards the front gate. Jake just happened to be standing there, looking around the crowd of people for someone. When he spotted me and Sarah, he waved his hand and jogged over. I tried to hide behind my best friend, but she kept pushing me out behind her.

"Hey, I been looking for you!"

"Yay you found me..." I said sarcastically.

"Aww, you look so helpless and small with your stomach all bandaged up!" He replied.

"Hey! At least my head isn't as full of air as yours!" He snorted.

"Such cruel words for such an innocent, weak, little mouse!"

"I am soooo not a mouse Coach Bags!" I retorted.

"Yes you are. You are small and slow."

"Well, then, you are a giraffe cuz' you're so tall!" I said and looked up at his face.

He smiled, then shook his head, "Sorry, Mouse, that just doesn't work. Well, I got to go. Don't want to be late, now do we, Mouse?" And he jogged into the gates toward the school. Sarah just stood there looking back and forth at us the whole conversation.

"Uhhh, ok, let's go before we are late. Mouse." And she ran off laughing. I glared angrily at where she disappeared into the crowd. The wind caught my hair and pushed it out of my face and I rushed into the school.

Is it good?
Yes.
No.
I don't care.
Try something else.
Related:

没有评论:

发表评论